Nam Du is a small archipelago (near Phu Quoc island) of Kien Giang (a province in Mekong Delta). The largest island is Hon Lon (Large Islet), locally called Cu Tron islet. Nam Du tourism is at its early stage so everything is still pristine and natural. Following are some my informations and experiences for travelling to Nam Du island.
Ha Tien (Hà Tiên) is a border town (close to Cambodia) of Kien Giang province. Ha Tien is famous for Mui Nai beach and historical stories about Khai Tran Quoc Cong Mac Cuu, who explored Ha Tien land 400 years ago. From Ha Tien, you can get to Phu Quoc, combine travelling to many places in Kien Giang, Rach Gia city or Nam Du island.
In this article, I’m going to provide the informations and experiences to help you have an overview about Ha Tien tourism.
Phu Quoc (Phú Quốc ), also known under the name Pearl island, is biggest island of Vietnam and is a district of Kien Giang. Phu Quoc is famous for beautiful sea, beaches, primary forests and ancient fishing villages. This island is an ideal destination of Vietnam. Following is my tips, experiences and top things to do in Phu Quoc island – VIetnam.
There are 3 main tourism areas in Phu Quoc: Northern, Southern and Western. Usually, visitors to Phu Quoc will spend 3 days to visit these areas.
Western part is Duong Dong town, the first place you see when coming to Phu Quoc.
The first site you should visit is Dinh Cau (Dinh Cậu), a very sacred temple with the locals.
Next is Ham Ninh fishing village. This is an ancient village with rustic and pristine cottages. You may also buy fresh seafoods and enjoy them on beach when ships of fishermen just docked.
After visiting Ham Ninh village, if it’s not yet dark, let’s visit Cuoi Nguon museum, where stories and legends about Phu Quoc island are kept.
In the evening, try out the bustling Dinh Cau night market and eat famous specialties of this island.
The famous attractions in Southern Island is Phu Quoc prison (Nhà tù Phú Quốc ). The prison was restored to be a museum, with wondrous statues about scenes of torturing prisoners.
Tranh stream (Suối Tranh ), rooted from Ham Ninh mountain, has beautiful scene and cool air like Dalat city.
Khem beach (Bãi Khem ) is surrounded by mountains. This is a beautiful beach of Phu Quoc with blue sea and a long stretch of sand coast.
Next destinations in Southern are Kingdom of pepper (Vương Quốc hồ tiêu ), Fish sauce barrel houses, which produces millions of litters of fish sauce every year. I’m sure, you will be overwhelmed by the massive barrel systems; and Pearl farms, which produces famous pearls of Phu Quoc.
Northern area of the island owns Phu Quoc National park (Vườn quốc gia Phú Quốc), which has the most beautiful beaches of the island, along with other pristine landscape:
Ham Rong mountain (Núi Hàm Rồng ), Ganh Dau beach (Gành Dầu ), Cua Can (Cửa Cạn, an estuary).
Bai Dai beach (Bãi Dài), the most beautiful beach of Phu Quoc.
Da Ngon (suối Đá Ngọn ), Da Ban stream(suối Đá Bàn) with beautiful waterfalls
Finally, Nguyen Trung Truc temple, the end of my northern journey, is where the locals commemorate a great hero of country.
My tips: You should rent a motorbike to visit all attractions in Phu Quoc and make sure to fill up gasoline if travelling the Northern area.
For motorbikes, you may rent in your hotel or contact: Mr. Thanh, +84918.579.218, very enthusiastic, price is also ok. Mr. Minh, +8498.384.6982. Mr. Duc, +8498.5034.111
Or for renting car, contact Mr. Huy +84168.8880.608
How to get to Phu Quoc island?
There are 2 ways:
1. By plane
You may go from Ha Noi or Sai Gon (Ho Chi Minh city ).
– From Sai Gon to Phu Quoc. There are 6 – 10 trips every day. Fares are from $50 to $70.
– From Ha Noi, airfares are from $150 to $250, depending on season.
Planes to Phu Quoc also have cheap fares, but you have to keep your eyes out for promotion or book a few months beforehand.
– First, from Sai Gon, you will get to Rach Gia by bus. If going at night, you will arrive at 5am. Then, catch a taxi or motor-taxi to the dock.
Notes: Try to remember the number of your bus as it will stop a few times for break during the ride and there are many similar buses around at the stop.
Best taxis in Rach Gia:
Mai Linh: +848 3929 2929
Phuong Trang: +848 3833 3468
– Second. Usually, ships go to Phu Quoc leave at 8am and 1pm, taking from 2h30 to 3h depending on the weather.
Two ship firms:
– Superdong ship. Add: 14 – Tu Do street, near the dock. Phone: +8477.877.742 – +8477.877.741. Fare is $15/adult.
– Shavanna ship. Add: 12 Tu Do street – Rach Gia, near the dock. Phone: +84773.692.888. Fares: : $15/adult and $10/child.
Best Hotels and motels in Phu Quoc Island
1. Kim Thanh Nga hotel inregion 7 (khu phố 7) – block 20 – Duong Dong town is $18 to $25. Fine room, good hotelier. $7 for taxi from airport to the hotel.
2. Hong Tuyet hotel is at14 – Bach Dang street – Duong Dong. Near the Duong Dong night market, and dock of night squid fishing.
3. Sea Breeze hotel is very clean and spacious with balcony overlooking the sea. Prices from $18 to $43. The hotel is located on Tran Hung Dao street. Phone +8477 399 4920
4. Hiep Thoai hotel on Tran Hung Dao street is in the town center. Phone: +8477.398.1060. I don’t know its exact price, but for sure it’s affordable, you may call to check the prices.
5. Huong Giang bungalow hotel. I really like this hotel. It includes 16 bungalows, located in bustling area of Phu Quoc and only 5 minutes walk from beach. Prices from $25 to $30. I’m pretty sure you will like it too.
Some cheap motels in Phu Quoc
6. Thien Vy motel at 6 – Ly Thuong Kiet, near Phu Quoc ariport.
7. Oc Dao motel has very cheap price at only$10. Phone +8498.2111.232.
1. Le Giang restaurant is near the traffic circle of night market. This is familiar breakfast place of groups tourist.
2. Quoc Anh on 30/4 street, near Thang Long hotel. I don’t try yet but some my friends said it’s good.
3. Banh canh cha ca is a popular restaurant close to Thang Long hotel. If you want to watch the streets and enjoy taste of the local, let’s come here.
4. Breakfast buffet at Huong Bien hotel. You may call the hotel to book breakfast.
5. Vuon Tao (Vườn táo ) is my favorite. They have raw herring, which is the pride of Phu Quoc cuisine. Other restaurant also have this dish, but here is best. You should drop by this restaurant during daytime, because it’s quite distant from the center of the town so deserted in night.
6. Zen is a luxurious restaurant on 30/4 street. Cool campus and professional staffs. This restaurant also serves breakfast.
7. Song Xanh restaurant has nice view, overlooking Duong Dong river.
8. Trung Duong has good prices.
9. Huong Bien restaurant is located on terrace of Huong Bien hotel, which has a very impressive sea view. This is ideal place for dinner.
10. Ngheu So Oc Hen and Nghe So restautants serve seafoods at reasonable prices.
11. Dinh Cau night market has many restaurants close together and prices are also average. Let’s enjoy a very Phu Quoc cuisine style.
12. Gia Tuong is the only restaurant in Phu Quoc that does not have seafoods but serves specialties from Phu Quoc forest instead.
In southern Island
12. Sao beach club is a new restaurant with nice view and good service. You may rent hammocks or chairs to eat on the beach.
In Northern Island
13. Mai Phuong restaurant on Vung Bau (Vũng Bầu ) beach has over 10 bungalow.
Phu Quoc is known as the pearl island, it wins many tourists’ favours to be called “the heaven on earth”. the island is the largest island in Vietnam, formed in Kien Giang Province, located in the Southwest of the country, being about 120km from Rach Gia.
Phu Quoc island has cool weather all the year with an average temperature of around 28 degrees Celsius, a tropical monsoon climate which is divided into two distinct seasons: the dry season and the rainy season. Gifted the beautiful weather, calm sea, and a few rainy days,… Phu Quoc is the ideal destination for those who are planing to go travel somewhere fantasic.