Nam Du is a small archipelago (near Phu Quoc island) of Kien Giang (a province in Mekong Delta). The largest island is Hon Lon (Large Islet), locally called Cu Tron islet. Nam Du tourism is at its early stage so everything is still pristine and natural. Following are some my informations and experiences for travelling to Nam Du island.
How to get to to Nam Du island
Basically, way to get Nam Du is similar to Phu Quoc. You have to get to Rach Gia from Ho Chi Minh by bus (take about 6 hours) then take the boat.
Some reputed bus firms to get Rach Gia:
1. Mai Linh at Mien Tay bus station (395 Kinh Duong Vuong – Binh Tan – Ho Chi Minh city). Tel: +818.104.22.168.29
2. Phuong Trang bus at Mien Tay bus station, Tel: +84838.309.309
3. Tuyet Hon at Mien Tay station, +84773.960.960
4. Kumho Samco at Mien Tay station, +8483.8776.594
You can pick many others at Mien Tay bus station (395 Kinh Duong Vuong – Binh Tan – Ho Chi Minh city) with fares less than $10.
Get to Nam Du by boat
To catch the boat, you have be at dock before 8am. You can consult service of Ngoc Thanh speedboat, add: 456 Mac Cuu street – Rach Gia city, tel: +8477.3863.019 or +8491.8914.188. You will arrive at Nam Du station (on Cu Tron islet) at 11am.
Attractions on Nam Du island
You should rent a motorbike to travel on Nam Du, price about $8 – $10/day. You can ask from your hotel.
1. Nam Du lighthouse (on the peak of Hon Lon) is 2.5 km (1.5 miles) from Nam Du dock. You can get to the lighthouse by walking, motortaxi or motorbike (you should be a skilled motorbike driver, because the roads slope down rather steep).
2. Cay Men beach (bãi Cây Mến) is the most beautiful beach of Nam Du archipelago with green row of coconut, white sands and blue sea.
Visitting islets in the archipelago
To get to islets, you have to rent a boat. If you travel in big group (about 10), you can contact Mr. Ngai, +84163.6977.859 or Mr. Phong Vu, +8491.9138.369. Or try out many fish boat at the Nam Du dock.
3. Hai Bo Dap (Hòn Hai Bờ Đập) is a beautiful islet with still sea suitable for fishing and camping.
4. Nom islet (Hòn Nồm) is very pristine, often uninhabited, however, very difficult to dock on the islet because of the reefs.
5. Son Islet or Son Rai islet (Hòn Sơn) has many residents and good roads. You should rent a motorbike for a tour around the islet. Negotiate for only half-day rent because that’s all you need.
Hotels in Nam Du
On Hon Lon (the Largest Island)
1. Kim Yen motel, 5$/double room/night, tel: +8493.9486.262 . The motel is close to the sea, nice view, good room. I vote for this motel.
2. Thuy Diep motel is near the market, rates from $6/double room, has karaoke room, tel: +8477.3830.853 or +84914.499.863. The motel is slightly old but clean.
3. Sau Co motel is near the dock, +84773.690.225 or +84907.172.656. Price about $5/room.
In case you can’t find any room, don’t worry, ask the locals for help finding rooms or ask to stay overnight in their home, some of whom will agree (with a small cost).
On Son Islet
4. Hong Dao hotel, $8/room/day, tel: +8477.3830.597 or +8491.203.9597. It is easy to find because the islet is quite small. In addition, the hotel has Vuon Xoai cafe (Mango Garden cafe), very nice.
5. Hong Hai motel near market can be considered too.
Restaurants on Nam Du
On Hon Lon
1. Nam Nuong rice (cơm Năm Nương): Upon arriving at the island (about 11am) by speedboat, you can have lunch at this restaurant. It’s close to the dock, quite small but tasty and cheap foods, about $2 – $2.5 / plate. Evening, you can also ask Mrs. Nam (the owner) for buying and cooking seafoods.
2. Restaurants on Chet beach (close to the dock). There’re many breakfast restaurants at here. You can also have breakfast at Nam Nuong restaurant, they sell noodle and rice in the morning.
3. Mrs. Yen, the owner of Kim Yen motel that i mentioned above, you can contact her (+8493.9486.262) to book meals. The dishes are cooked like family meal with price about $2.5 / pax.
In Hon Son
4. Restaurants on Bai Nha beach (Bãi Nhà). You can eat at here, or contact Mr. Nhuan,
he has the service like Mrs. Yen. Addition, you can also ask for eating at a home of locals, just pay for them.
5. Seafood. You should ask the place where you book meals, or buy seafood in the market then bring to Bai Bang beach and ask a certain restaurant cooking. Note, Bai Bang beach does not sell seafood, they just cook for remuneration.